Thursday, January 28, 2010

PS3 Hacked! SO?!

The Playstation 3 has finally been hacked! The everyone all around are excited, for now we have the chance to run whatever applications we want. I for one am very excited to see what homebrew apps we will see be made for the playstation 3 but aside from that there is nothing else really. I mean, many people think that because the PS3 has been hacked now it will open door for games to be pirated. Well this is true but it will not be as big as many would think.

First off, the PS3 uses blu-rays for its game storage medium. While people can go buy blu-ray burners and blank Blu-ray disc, it cost a good bit of money! I know it is less when you calculate it out in the long run of perfectly burnt discs. The second thing is why risk spending your money on those things if all you are going to do is pirate because you might get you PSN banned and/or might not be able to use them with a firmware update?

My second point is, I know that people made custom firmwares for the psp and they might do it for ps3...okay..but WHO IS GOING TO SPEND THEIR TIME DOWNLOADING A 40GB GAME!!! Well I know not all games are 40gbs and most are not even at the max on a single-layer blu-ray (25gbs). What I am saying for the high profile games and stuff you would have to download a big iso file. I have a 500gb HD but that can only hold about 10-20 PS3 games. Plus, with data-caps on most broadband connects who would want to pay extra on their bill downloading a game. I know, I know, I said it already that not all games are that big. I do see games that take up a small amount of space being pirated easily for the PS3 using some sort of usb iso loading thing. The only problem is, that can be easily taken cared of by the developers filling discs with garbage data. It is not that hard to put almost 10gbs of cut-senses into a game that is not really needed. So the real question is who is going to download all those games?


I do see that there will be much fun to be had with homebrew apps. I see all types of emulators and custom made games being brought on to the ps3.

No comments:

Post a Comment